Thursday, September 1, 2011

Spiders and Fruit Flies Oh My!

Hi all ~

This week I have been seeing lots of spiders spinning webs.  That's fine - I like to watch spiders.  Much worse are the fruit flies.  They breed so fast that it is difficult to get rid of them.  It doesn't help that they are not from this climate and there are virtually no predators of fruit flies.  Something has gone wrong in our food chain supply!

The spiders, though, signal that autumn is on its way, and the animal kingdom is getting ready for fall and winter.  I actually like spiders.  They are industrious and they help keep down the populations of flies and other pests.  Their webs are quite intricate and beautiful.

A few years ago, when I lived in a different place, I had to talk to a spider who had woven her web right where the outside faucet was.  I had to interrupt her web daily in order to water my plants.I tried to talk to her, but she wouldn't listen.  Seemed to me she could find lots of bugs in the garden and we could help each other.  But no, she was determined.

Now living in a house with my Dad, I see spiders all over the place, but only outside.  These spiders are helping with the balance, and I appreciate their work.  I just wish the fruit flies could be lunch for the spiders!




No comments: